In redactionThe Dicker Max 10.5cm K 18 (gp.Sfl.) was a German self-propelled artillery gun used during World War II. It was built on the chassis of a modified Panzer IV tank and was designed to provide heavy fire support to German infantry units. The Dicker Max was armed with a 105mm K 18 gun, which was a powerful and accurate weapon capable of firing both high explosive and armor-piercing rounds. The gun was mounted in an open-topped superstructure with sloping armor to provide some protection for the crew.
The Dicker Max was relatively fast and maneuverable for a self-propelled artillery gun, but it lacked a fully rotating turret, which limited its effectiveness against moving targets. It also had limited ammunition storage, which meant it had to be resupplied frequently. Despite these limitations, the Dicker Max was used effectively by German forces on the Eastern Front, where its long-range firepower was especially useful in open terrain. However, due to the high cost of production and the need for resources to build other weapons, only a small number of Dicker Maxes were produced.
The 10.5cm K 18 auf Panzer-Selbstfahrlafette-IVa Dicker Max self-propelled gun. This vehicle caught fire in an accident which ignited the ammunition and destroyed it before reaching the front line.
The Panzerjaeger-Abteilung 521 tank hunter battalion on the Eastern Front received the only surviving 10.5cm K 18 auf Panzer-Selbstfahrlafette-IVa Dicker Max self-propelled gun for combat trials in May 1941. The crew called it ‘Brummbaer’.
|Total weight, battle ready|
|Max Range (on/off road)|